Mason Crest Families,
The 2020 Mason Crest PTO Nominating Committee is pleased to present the following slate of candidates for election to fill the Mason Crest PTO Board for the 2020-2021 School Year:
- Rachel Rajala
- Mary Johnson
Communications (Shared position)
- Dani Cao
- Amy Miller
Membership/Volunteer Coordinator (One position open)
- Heather Rascona
- Simona Eldridge
Ways and Means (Two positions open)
- Sarah Sonnonstine
Please note, only PTO members may vote.
Due to COVID -19 our election will be held during the May 28th PTO meeting which will be held via Zoom. A link will be emailed to our list serve, posted on FB and advertised on the Mason Crest PTO website.
Several Board positions have not been filled, if you are interested in sitting on the PTO Board please contact Christy at email@example.com.
Our Committee positions are not elected positions but still need volunteers for next year. If you would like to volunteer for a committee or have questions about a position, please email Christy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Kindergarten Playdates – position open
Assemblies – position open
Restaurant Night Program Manager – position open
Redeemable Awards Program Manager – Kassandra Smith
Spirit Wear Sales Manager – Corrie Pratt
Hospitality Committee Chairperson – Kristina Wilson
Yearbook – Jamie Irelan
Green Committee Chairperson- Alex Berens
DJ/MC- Dan Rappaport
After School Programs – Bethany Adamec
Folder Copying – Veronica O’ Brien
Fundraising Sales – position open
Grants – Jessica Olivan
Nominating Committee – position open
Christy Fase and Christie Phillips
March 23, 2020
A short while ago, Governor Northam announced that all Virginia K-12 schools will be closed for the remainder of the academic year. I know this is very disappointing news, but also an understandable decision, considering the environment we are in, as we all try to do our part to flatten the curve and contain the spread of the virus.
Our School Board is meeting later this afternoon in an emergency session. I will be working closely with them to determine our next steps as we face together this unprecedented challenge.
Regrettably, the governor’s announcement also means that all extracurricular programs, athletic programs, and community use activities are canceled through the remainder of the academic year.
Even though schools are closed, our goal is to proceed with continuity of learning for our students. The Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) will be providing school districts additional guidance in the next day or so regarding continuity of learning that has an equity focus. In addition, VDOE will also issue guidance about what graduation requirements will look like for our 12th grade students and expectations for grading and academic year completion for all of our students.
We are navigating uncharted waters, and I am so proud of how everyone is stepping up to meet the challenge. Take care and stay safe. I know that we will persevere through this difficult time together.
Scott Brabrand, Superintendent
Fairfax County Public Schools
Dear Mason Crest Elementary Family,
As we are faced with uncertain days ahead and are encouraged to keep our distances, many of us are still blessed to have food and a paycheck. We realize this is not that case for everyone and we’d like to do our part to help those in less fortunate situations.
As you have likely heard by now, FCPS is providing grab and go meals at no cost for students at 18 sites (see https://rem.ax/2IPn6X0). However, perhaps this is not always an option for everyone.
Fairfax County School Board Mason District Member Ricardy Anderson, also a MCES parent and Felisa Klubes, another MCES parent had the great idea of collecting donations of gift cards to local grocery stores to distribute to those in need.
The PTO has also set up a PayPal account if you’d like to participate by donating online. We will then take the money and purchase grocery gift cards in $20/$25 denominations so we can split them among a lot of families. To donate via PayPal use the email email@example.com to reference the account.
If you have any questions or know of a neighbor in need, please reach out.
Mason Crest Elementary PTO President
Here’s what you missed during our PTO meeting held on 04/3/20 via ZOOM
Agenda Topics/New business:
- Due to COVID-19 Fairfax County Schools will be closed the remainder of the 2019/20 school calendar year.
- All after school activities are cancelled.
- Social Distant Learning will be launched April 14th.
- Book fair will continue through online orders https://bookfairs.scholastic.com/bookfairs/cptoolkit/homepage.do?method=homepage&url=masoncrestelementary
- State of the MCES PTO – The PTO is created to help support the needs of student, parents, teachers and administrators of Mason Crest and the bottom line is we always need volunteers and donation support to help continue being successful at supporting the school. With that being said, all office positions for the PTO Board are open and available. Please consider running for office.
- We do have subdivision committees which will allow you to only commit to 1 or 2 events of your choice.
- Financial Report – reviewed
- These topics will be revisited due to the uncertainty of our current state. Please be patient and stay tuned.
- FCPS: Title 1 free/reduced lunch was 45%, now is 55%. The demographics of Mason Crest haven’t changed, but Mason Crest will not be Title 1 starting with the 2020-2021 school year. This will change the resources the school receives. There is an estimation of 7-9 schools in the county that will lose the status. The county is trying to figure out the best way to have it be as little impact as possible. The principals plan to hold a meeting in March for the school to discuss once they receive more details. However all activities will be postponed.
- Our alternative means of Fundraising is still ongoing. Please continue to help the school so that we can continue to help support our teachers and students
- Reward programs that we are already using such as Amazon, box top and smile program. We will continue to expand this by looking into Harris Teeter and Giant’s reward programs as well. Please refer to tab below to get more details on each programs and the way it helps MCES.
Kindergarten Orientation and Registration
If you have a child who will turn five before September 30th, we encourage you to register for Kindergarten.
Here is a link with more information: https://www.fcps.
If you have any questions about registration, do not hesitate to contact our registrar, Joyce Anglade, at 571-226-2600 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
You can help support Mason Crest Elementary using our special codes to make your purchases.
Mason Crest Elementary will receive 4% of all purchases made by shoppers who reach Amazon through our link at http://amazon.masoncrestpto.org/.
When you shop Harris Teeter brands, a percentage of your purchase is donated to the school that your VIC card is linked to. Go to https://www.harristeeter.com/together-in-education to link up your VIC card.
Spread the word and have your family and friends use this link as well.
Calling all Parents and Staff: Join the PTO!
Ways to join:
- Fill out the MCES PTO Membership Form and drop it off at MCES with your payment or
- Go paperless by doing everything online. This is a two step process. (1) Simply register your information then (2) make your membership payment through PayPal at the bottom of the site or on our Join Us page.
- Membership options:
- Single membership – $15
- Family membership – $25
How to be active:
If you are still looking for ways to help please visit our Volunteer Page for items still in need and other ways to help.
- Stay Tuned